insulation in ceiling 'vs' under roofing

Questions, comments and suggestions about the Design Navigator H1 Compliance calculator

insulation in ceiling 'vs' under roofing

Postby Ralf » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:37 am

can someone please clarify the correct place to insert insulation value for insulation sitting on the ceiling. when I click on the "info" button below 'roofing' it show a picture of insulation lying on the ceiling, however I would have called this "roof space" see the insulatino box further down the page... so for insulation lying on the ceiling (as per the picture) should I put this in the upper or lower "insulation box"?

Image  xx.jpg
Image xx.jpg (83.79 KiB) Viewed 1267 times
Ralf

Re: insulation in ceiling 'vs' under roofing

Postby Albrecht Stoecklein » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:15 am

Hi Ralph,

Good question. The tables are usually designed to reflect the physical order of the material layers, i.e. what is at the top of the table would usually also be physically at the top.

In your example the yellow insulation would be the one you enter in the top box where you have drawn the red arrow to. That insulation layer has no thermal bridging. Therefore in the table the cell width spans the whole table width.

The pink insulation would be in the box where you have entered 3.2. In that layer you have framing which will function as thermal bridge. Therefore the framing details are shown next to it in the table.

I hope that makes sense.

Sunny regards

Albrecht
Albrecht Stoecklein

Postby johnwatson32 » Wed May 03, 2017 2:18 am

Albrecht Stoecklein wrote:Hi Ralph,

Good question. The tables are usually designed to reflect the physical order of the material layers, i.e. what is at the top of the table would usually also be physically at the top.

In your example the yellow insulation would be the one you enter in the top box where you have drawn the red arrow to. That insulation layer has no thermal bridging. Therefore in the table the cell width spans the whole table width.

The pink insulation would be in the box where you have entered 3.2. In that layer you have framing which will function as thermal bridge. Therefore the framing details are shown next to it in the table.

I hope that makes sense.

Sunny regards

Albrecht

Hello Albrecht ,

Thanks for the post.
Can anyone recommend a good roofer for me...I have a mobile home and need the roof redone...small job so hard to get big companies out,...anyone dealt with Beck's Roofing Co.
johnwatson32

Postby albert147 » Wed May 24, 2017 1:58 pm

Ralf wrote:can someone please clarify the correct place to insert insulation value for sitting on the ceiling. when I click on the "info" button below 'roofing' it show a picture of insulation lying on the ceiling, however I would have called this "roof space" see the insulatino box further down the page... so for insulation lying on the ceiling (as per the picture) should I put this in the upper or lower "insulation box"?

Hello,
Thanks for sharing the information with us. I like your work and appreciate you. Could you please tell me what thing you use as an insulator it's a foam or something different....
albert147

Postby jackbill10 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:20 pm

Ralf wrote:can someone please clarify the correct place to insert insulation value for insulation sitting on the ceiling. when I click on the "info" button below 'roofing' it show a picture of insulation lying on the ceiling, however I would have called this "roof space" see the insulatino box further down the page... so for insulation lying on the ceiling (as per the picture) should I put this in the upper or lower "insulation box"?

Image xx.jpg

Hi
I think under roofing is better option because it have many benefits and some of them are:
1. Cost savings in budget and materials, while not compromising on quality.
2. Savings on core foundation design
jackbill10

Return to Design Navigator H1 Compliance Calculator