Linea Weatherboard

Please tell me if you found any bugs.

Linea Weatherboard

Postby mnce » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:04 pm

I have a house with James Hardie Linea weatherboard.
16mm thick ceramic low density (CLD) bevel-back weatherboard.
Because this product has a significantly higher density than timber, I presume that it has a higher R value.
Are you able to add this option to your calculator ?
mnce

Re: Linea Weatherboard

Postby Albrecht Stoecklein » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:11 pm

I have been looking for R-values for the Linea board already for a while now but can't find any in their literature.

In general the R-value drops for denser materials. So I suspect that Linea actually has a slightly lower R-value than timber weather boards.

But because the R-values of the cladding are quite small compared to the R-values of the insulation I would simply use the timber weather R-values instead. I am not aware of any council's taking issue with that.

If you can find the Linea R-values I am very happy to add them on the Design Navigator.

Sunny regards

Albrecht
Albrecht Stoecklein

Postby MacGyver » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:49 pm

A bit late in reply, but better late than never....

I have had the same problem. Hardies seem to keep this number very secret and for good reason, as it is extremely low. This is interesting as they proclaim that it has excellent thermal properties.

Anyway, on their website under the "Super Technical Info" section, they have the Physical Properties link. Reading through this you will find that the Thermal Conductance for the product is 0.40W/mK. To get this as a material R-Value you use this formula d(m)/U(W/mK) where d is the thickness in meters of the product and U is the Thermal Conductance.

Answer: R-Value = 0.04.

For comparison, typical Weatherboard is R0.12.

So it is not so good after all...... As I said, it is no wonder that they do not want to release this information.

Cheers.
MacGyver

Postby Albrecht Stoecklein » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:30 pm

Thanks for your detective work, MacGyver,

I've added Linea as a cladding material with R-0.04.

Cheers

Albrecht
Albrecht Stoecklein

Return to Bug Reports