ArchiCAD import

Please tell me if you found any bugs.

ArchiCAD import

Postby ArchPrime » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:11 pm

Hi - I am new to this and am having trouble utilising my ArchiCAD model as data source for two reasons:

1 ArchiCAD does not export gbxml files - the nearest it does is ifcxml. I tried simply renaming an ifcxml file extension to test whether this might work, but then struck the next issue:
2 Upload file size limit 10 meg precludes most working models, even with internal partitions etc turned off.

I note that ArchiCAD is listed as a data source, so presume I must be missing something on both these issues? - or there is a bug?

Are you able to help me with the solution?

I think what you have done here looks to be fantastic! I just hope I get to try it out!
ArchPrime

Re: ArchiCAD import

Postby Albrecht Stoecklein » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:01 am

Hi Paul,

There is a separate forum dealing in particular with gbXML issues: http://www.design-navigator.co.nz/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=8

The quick answer to your question is that you will need a third party plug in for exporting gbXML formats with Archicad. I have not had a chance to try how well this works, though, because I don't have ArchiCAD myself.

Sunny regards

Albrecht
Albrecht Stoecklein

Postby ArchPrime » Wed May 17, 2017 3:19 am

Hi Albrecht

I am again hoping to try using ArchiCAD (now version 20) to supply the geometry for Design Navigator.

There still is no gbXML export option built in to ArchiCAD, and the forum link on the topic of gbXML plugins that you posted seems to be dead.
I otherwise cannot seem to find a gbXML plugin for ArchiCAD 20, nor any guidance on how to use the information in design navigator should I find such a plugin.

Also, I am looking at lodging a building consent after May 30 - should I wait for the site to be updated to follow the new standard that comes into force before setting up a new project in Design Navigator?
ArchPrime

Postby Albrecht Stoecklein » Wed May 17, 2017 11:22 am

Hi Paul,

I just did a quick web search. Have you looked at this plug-in: http://www.cadimage.com/support/knowledgebase/gbxml/cadimage-gbxml-product-overview-1124? On this page it even says that the plug-in is free http://www.shoegnome.com/2015/02/20/gbxml-export-add-on-for-free-from-cadimage/, although the link to the actual download page seems to be broken.

I have not tried the plugin myself, but it is supposed to work with ArchiCAD. Or does it only work with the earlier versions of ArchCAD?

In regards to the new standard NZS4218:2009 for compliance, it does not really matter whether you wait or not. In fact, the current Code requirements are slightly easier to achieve. So you might be better off doing your calculations now, rather than after I have updated the calculator to the new version of the NZ standard. But the differences are really only minor and mostly relate to the permitted window areas and other restrictions for using the Schedule Method, rather than the R-value targets.

Sunny regards

Albrecht
Albrecht Stoecklein

Postby ArchPrime » Wed May 17, 2017 1:17 pm

Thanks Albrecht

It seems the separate exporter plug-in is available for up to ArchiCAD 19 from CADimage, but that under AC20 you can export to gbXML directly (no plugin needed) from within the Energy Evaluation menu.

Meanwhile, if I do my calcs and generate a report before May 30 and submit this after May 30, will I likely strike any problems with council? (for example will any wording on the report reference the earlier standard version)
ArchPrime

Postby Albrecht Stoecklein » Wed May 17, 2017 3:07 pm

Hi Paul,

That sounds good regarding the new ArchiCAD version.

I hope the import into DesNav goes smoothly. There are only a handful of users using the DesNav gbXML option, as far as I know. So that means that there is a possibility that there are still some undiscovered bugs. But fingers crossed ;-)

I don't think you should submit a report that was created using the current DesNav version after 31 May. But you can already enter the data, etc. and save the project. Then, after 31 May you can simply open the project again and create a report using the new version, but based on the data that you have already entered previously.

As I mentioned, if the project complies using the current DesNav version, it is most likely that it will also comply with the new version.
Albrecht Stoecklein

Postby ArchPrime » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:48 am

Some feedback on the process for ArchiCAD 20

To obtain semi-useful gbXML format export, you almost certainly need to make a duplicate simplified model- by copying only exterior walls, floors, and roof (removing any multiple layers - eg separate outer roof lining vs ceiling lining) and putting these on a separate layer, switching everything else off. You then need to place a single 3D zone to fill the whole house, trimming this to roof (assuming it is a skillion roof). Make a dedicated layer combination, and ensure these new object copies don't interact with your main model elements by assigning them a layer intersection priority of 9 (or similar)

With only these displaying in the 3D window, open Design/Energy Evaluation/Energy Model Review, click the icon to add the (only) zone to the (only) 'Thermal Block' (or click to update existing zone if you have made any changes) , then check through the structures and openings tabs to check everything looks sensible.

To export, click the small down pointing triangle beside the 'Start Engery Evaluation' button - there you will find an option to export to gbXML

In this simplified model, remember to delete/merge any doubled up openings you may have that occupy the same patch of wall (for example overlaid windows or wallholes) as these will count as twice the wall opening area

The process is not bug free - roofs seem not to come through at all , so you will need to manually enter these. Walls are all imported facing the 90 degrees away from their correct cardinal directions. Spurious tiny walls also appeared for me that are definitely not reflected in the source model or ArchiCAD's Energy Model review listing of walls (the very ones it presumably exports). In one case an otherwise valid wall (I could tell because it contained a valid recognized window) contained a length dimension of zero - so you will need to check & manually override anything clearly wrong.
ArchPrime

Postby Albrecht Stoecklein » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:56 am

Thanks very much, Paul, really useful.

The whole exercise does sound a bit cumbersome. That's a shame.

If you are interested I am happy to share the software code for importing the gbXML file with you. You may spot some areas where the code could be modified so that the software filters the gbXML file better for the relevant data and therefore less effort is required to create the gbXML files in ArchiCAD.

Just let me know if you are interested and I'll e-mail you the code.

Sunny regards

Albrecht
Albrecht Stoecklein

Return to Bug Reports