Steel wall on inside of block/precast

Questions, comments and suggestions about the Design Navigator R-value calculator

Steel wall on inside of block/precast

Postby HSArchitects » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:56 am

I am trying to create a calculation for building a steel framed wall on the inside of existing precast and block wall with a gap between - commercial building.

The closest I seem to be able to make it is by choosing "Solid wall (concrete, masonry or other) without vented cavity, with internal insulation", selecting block or precast from solid masonry, and then under strapping selecting timber battens 90mm deep with an air gap?

This gives me R0.5 which is fine for the calcs, but I would guess a steel frame would be better, and the way it is generating that number may not be correct as battens vs using a wall?

Thanks.
HSArchitects

Re: Steel wall on inside of block/precast

Postby Albrecht Stoecklein » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:14 am

Hi

I think I would rather treat the wall as a steel framed wall with a concrete slab "cladding" similar as shown below. The air gap is dealt with by adding it in the thermal break part.

I hope that helps.

Sunny regards

Albrecht
Albrecht Stoecklein

Postby HSArchitects » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:53 am

Thanks, this covers the precast OK but not the block, unless I'm missing something in the drop down list. No drama though as from the calcs it looks like the block is better than the precast so worst case scenario of the precast pass's the block will.

Thank you.
HSArchitects

Postby Albrecht Stoecklein » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:59 pm

Yes, the blocks will perform very similar to the precast, slightly better if anything. So you will get a slightly conservative (lower) R-value using precast, but I don't think it should matter very much.
Albrecht Stoecklein

Postby Albarado » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:29 pm

Good advice, thanks Albrecht. i'll keep that in mind for a future project.
Albarado

Return to Design Navigator R-Value Calculator